Monday 26 October 2009

Knick Knack Box

Ever wondered what to do with all those little knick knacks that appear around the house? Well....we always seem to have that problem, especially with children and all the paraphernalia that goes with them. Old school badges, Cotton reels, safety pins, the contents of last year's Christmas Crackers and some spare bulbs for the fairy lights (that stopped working years ago), some hair slides, an old necklace (just needs a bit of a repair), a set of keys that no-one knows who they belong to and various electronic cables for some old phone that was decommissioned long ago. The list goes on and as the years go by the collection accumulates!

Throw it all away says husband....what! I can't do that, I'm a natural hoarder! You never know when that flashing 50th birthday badge or the pack of mini playing cards could be useful let alone the 3 amp fuse!



My solution was a mini chest of drawers from Ikea, cheap and cheerful, just right for bits and pieces and small enough to fit on the desk. Trouble is - as a blank mdf box it's not very interesting to look at. So I jazzed it up a little decoupage work using quirky animal prints and my crackle glaze technique. Now it's crammed full and husband thinks -  time to clear out and use for something else.......well....I suppose it could be useful as a craft box. But then what would I do when I need to find the spare fairy light bulb, or a badge for my friend's 50th birthday? And where would I put all the other bits and pieces that start appearing around the house that I can't bear to throw away?

NB: To decorate I used a  paper design by Roger la Borde which is sadly no longer available as far as I know.................however these people have some great animal papers for sale.

www.animalawareness.co.uk


Do you know of any other animal papers suitable for decoupage? Let me know and I'll post a link onto this blog!

1 comment: